Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wheat Grinder

I don't remember eating much whole wheat bread as a kid. In fact, for most of my life I've been pretty afraid of whole wheat. But I can't imagine how I could store 1200 lbs. of grain and be able to rotate it before it goes bad without storing any wheat. Wheat basically has an indefinite shelf life (30+ years) so you really don't even have to worry about rotating it if you use it even just occasionally.

I did a little research into wheat grinders and found this one, the same one that they have on display at the cannery, at www.blendtec.com. I bought mine at their warehouse in Provo because I was already in the area and didn't want to pay for shipping. If you mention that you saw it at the cannery or enter the promotional code KZ12182 on the website, they give you a $40 discount.

How do I like it? I love it! There are several different coarseness settings, but I always leave mine on the finest. The flour is so fine! I think I could almost substitute it entirely for white flour without my family even noticing. It grinds the wheat very quickly, probably about 3 cups of wheat in a minute. The motor unit can be inverted and stored inside of the cannister, so it stores even more compact than it already is. It is pretty loud, but it gets the job done so fast that that isn't usually a problem. It gives me so much satisfaction to know that my family is now eating healthy whole grains. I've tried a bunch of good whole wheat recipes which I hopefully will be posting sometime in the near future.

No comments: