Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Perfect Containers

When I lived in Arizona my friend Jamie, a food storage/emergency preparedness guru, got me hooked on these storage containers from Wal-Mart:


I know, nothing special, right? And as always, not a super-flattering picture either. But here's why I like them. First of all, they hold the contents of a number ten can perfectly. Second, they have a lid like this:


As you can see, it has a small spout for pouring things like sugar and a larger opening for larger particles like potato pearls or refried bean flakes. Third thing I like about these containers is that I never have a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I have a lot of number ten cans in my pantry that all look really similar and sometimes I have a hard time finding the one I need or the one I've already opened. But having the items I use often in these transparent containers really saves me the hassle. And one last thing that I like about them is that the labels from the LDS cannery fit right on the front of them so I have the nutrition/preparation info when I need it.


Yes, I am aware that these containers don't really do anything that a number ten can doesn't do, but my obsessive-compulsive side is at peace when I open my pantry and see a nice row of uniform, neatly labeled, transparent storage containers. I know, I need help.

No comments: